I’m glad she’s done an in depth look at the catcalling video. She points out a lot of stuff which I, and many others have already considered.
- That the video was produced by an ad company that deal with making viral videos.
- That the video only shows two minutes of highlights, not the other 9 hours and 58 minutes.
- That the video targets black and latino men, and she explains why and how.
- That the street is a free public space where anyone should be allowed to speak.
- That “hi” and “have a nice day” are not harassment.
- That social interactions are complicated, and cannot be summed up with one two minute video.
- That the video only shows one type of harassment, men talking to women.
- And what kind of laws would be put in place to stop this anyway?
- That the men doing the catcalling are rarely from good backgrounds and privileged.
Really worth a watch, it’s only five minutes long.